I was talking to a friend today about how impatient I’m as a viewer or reader. I didn’t read the Game of Thones books (A Song of Ice and Fire) but I read all the synopses online so last night’s brutal Red Wedding episode didn’t throw me off at all. I told my friend how I have zero patience for movies or new shows. I give every movie 10 minutes of my precious time. If it fails to grab my attention, I’ll just watch another. Sometime I can lose interest when I’m half way in, I’ll just stop watching and read the rest on Wikipedia. It’s very important that I get closure. There are shows I’ve given up on a long time ago, but I still read recaps of them from Entertainment Weekly. My friend said I’m like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory who feels uncomfortable when closures are taken from him. I guess I am kinda like Sheldon in many ways (including the bird phobia!).
Anyway, my friend suggested I might have mild ADHD given my short attention span for entertainment, but I was skeptical because I do get very obsessed with things I love, to the point that I must finish the task before I do anything else. I don’t have problem paying attention to things that interest me. I can only focus on one thing at a time. I am not a multi-tasker at all. I Googled ADHD, and I am not convinced I have it.
One click led to another, I eventually stumbled upon a personality disorder quiz. I answered like 30 questions and apparently I scored very high on histrionic personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder. I looked up another test to cross-check, and the result turned out to be the same! The narcissistic one didn’t surprise me because I was already aware of that, but I had never heard of histrionic personality disorder before. I finally get to have a new topic to spend hours Googling, yay!
So far I’ve only read a few articles about it on Psychology Today, which is just one of my favorite websites of all time. I also found the symptoms from Wikipedia. This time I think those quizzes really have hit something. Look at this list of traits:
- Exhibitionist behavior – don’t think so
- Constant seeking of reassurance or approval √ from people who I regard highly only
- Excessive sensitivity to criticism or disapproval √
- Pride of own personality and unwillingness to change, viewing any change as a threat √√√ If I didn’t love myself, I wouldn’t have scored that high on narcissism either
- Inappropriately seductive appearance or behavior of a sexual nature – you tell me
- Using somatic symptoms (of physical illness) to garner attention – don’t think so
- A need to be the center of attention √√√ I withdraw from groups where I can’t be the center of attention. That’s why I love teaching so much.
- Low tolerance for frustration or delayed gratification √√√√√√√√√√√√√√√ here goes my zero patience
- Rapidly shifting emotional states that may appear superficial or exaggerated to others √
- Tendency to believe that relationships are more intimate than they actually are √√√
- Making rash decisions – don’t think so, I’m not impetuous
- Blaming personal failures or disappointments on others – don’t think so, I usually blame myself first
- Being easily influenced by others, especially those who treat them approvingly √ It really depends on who you are. I can be stubborn as a stone.
- Being overly dramatic and emotional √ I don’t burst in tears in public, dont worry.
Call me a drama queen, but I really don’t see a problem with that, so call me a narcissist too. 🙂